Civil ServiceThe Civil Service Rules are available for download in PDF format here.
CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSIONERS
Holly James, Chair
All positions in the Police and Fire Departments are covered by Civil Service. The Civil Service Rules govern the application process, written and oral examinations, hiring procedures, discipline and many other employment processes.
- All applicants for Civil Service examination must complete the City of Bremerton application form.
- Applicants must meet the minimum requirements specified in the position announcement or they will not be included in the testing process.
- Application packets that are incomplete will be automatically disqualified.
- Candidates who pass the examination(s) are placed on an eligible register that will remain in effect for one year.
- All candidates are required to successfully pass a criminal history check and reference check.
- Some positions require special examinations such as psychological examination, polygraph, and physical examination.
- The application process takes approximately 6 to 10 weeks to complete depending on the position and complexity of the examinations.
If you have any questions about Civil Service Rules, please contact the Human Resources Department at (360) 473-5846, or email HumanResources@ci.bremerton.wa.us.