This website's design is only visible in a browser that supports web standards. The content, however, is still navigable.
Home | City Hall | Police Department | Patrol | Traffic Patrol |
City of Bremerton
345 6th Street, Suite 600
Bremerton, WA 98337
Contact the City!
E-mail the Webmaster

Traffic Patrol

The Bremerton Police Department Traffic Unit currently consists of two Traffic Officers and the Operations Lieutenant. Traffic Officers are assigned shifts to cover high traffic volume periods of the day, school zones and other areas requiring special emphasis. Traffic Officers have specialized training in accident reconstruction and are called out to investigate all serious and fatality accidents occurring within the City.

The Traffic Unit works hand in hand with the City of Bremerton's Engineering Department. Speed surveys are conducted and all traffic accidents are scanned into a computer, which generates statistics showing problem areas for speeding vehicles and problem intersections where traffic collisions are occurring.

Traffic Enforcement
The Bremerton Police Department receives numerous complaints regarding speeding vehicles on almost every street within the City limits. We understand the community's concern and make an attempt to address the issues, although staffing issues may affect the level of service that can be provided. Some new programs have been developed through the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission including Click It or Ticket and the Pedestrian Crosswalk Safety Program in which we have participated. The Traffic Unit also utilizes one day out of each month for training, completing ongoing traffic investigations and conducting emphasis patrols in direct response to citizen complaints.

Emphasis Patrols
Emphasis patrols conducted within the City have proven to be very effective. When staffing is not available to conduct these patrols the Bremerton Police Department utilizes their traffic speed trailer. The trailer can be set up in an area to show the drivers how fast they are traveling and is used as an educational tool to slow drivers down. The use of the speed trailer also frees up officers to respond to 911 and priority calls.

The Traffic Unit also participates in the monthly countywide DUI Emphasis Patrol. This program involves all local law enforcement agencies and is an effective tool at removing impaired drivers from the roadway making Bremerton and Kitsap County a safer place.

Traffic Issues and Citizens Comments
If you have a traffic or pedestrian related issue about a specific street or intersection please click here to report. Your information will be forwarded to our Traffic Unit.

Frequently Asked Traffic Questions

1. Do I have to fill out an accident report?
If you are involved in an accident where there is an injury or death to any person, or damage to either vehicle or other property in excess of /$700.00, you must complete a Vehicle Collision Report within 4 days. The report prepared by the Police Department is different from the state collision report. The vehicle collision report is for citizens to fill out. The Bremerton Police Department or any other law enforcement agency can provide you with a Vehicle Collision Report form. You do not need this report if any Law Enforcement officer investigates the collision.

2. Should I always call the police when I am involved in a collision?
The Bremerton Police Department will respond if called to any accident scene and we will take a report if the criterion is met above. It is recommended that you call the police department if the other driver appears intoxicated, is from another state or country, or leaves the scene without giving you any information. In any case, if you feel you need assistance, please call us.

3. Does the Bremerton Police Department investigate accidents on private property?
We can only investigate accidents that involve death, serious injury, hit and run or intoxicated drivers.

4. Should I move my car after an accident?
It is recommended that you do not move your car if anyone is injured or if it is unsafe to drive. If your accident is minor and your car is safe to drive, you should consider moving your car to a safe location.

5. What information must I provide to the other driver?
Washington State Law requires that you give your name, address, vehicle license, insurance company, and insurance policy number.

6. What if the other driver has no auto insurance?
In most cases, Washington State Law requires drivers to have at least liability insurance and to carry proof of insurance with them. One exception to this law is motorcycles. If the other driver doesn't have insurance, you should notify your insurance company. The police department is not able to help you collect for damages. Your insurance company and/or your attorney are your best resources to help you collect for damages.

7. Do I need to call my insurance company if I am not at fault?
This decision is up to you.

8. Will there be any citations issued?
The Bremerton Police Department may or may not issue citations at the collision scene dependent upon calls for service that may be pending. Traffic Officers usually need more time after they leave the scene to review the evidence and determine the cause of the accident. If a citation is not issued at the scene it may be sent out through the mail.

9. Who pays for the tow if my car is not drivable?
You should work directly with the tow company and your insurance company to arrange for tow payment. The Bremerton Police Department does not pay for towing of cars from accident scenes.

10. Do I get a copy of the accident report?
To obtain a copy of your accident report, contact the Bremerton Police Records Unit at 1025 Burwell Street, Bremerton and request a copy. Most insurance companies are also familiar with the process to get copies of police reports and can do this for you.

RCW Rules of the Road