House Key Plus Bremerton Down Payment Assistance ProgramThe City of Bremerton, in partnership with the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, presents the House Key Plus Bremerton Down Payment Assistance Program. The program is designed to provide low interest second loans that make home buying affordable for eligible first time home buyers purchasing within the Bremerton City limits. Funding for this program comes from the City of Bremerton's HUD allocation of Federal HOME funds and is matched 3:1 by the Washington State Housing Finance Commission. Funding is NOT available at this time.
The borrower must qualify for and use a House Key first mortgage from the Washington State Housing Finance Commission (WSHFC). The borrower's lender must be WSHFC-certified to originate House Key Loans. For more information on House Key and WSHFC, go to http://www.wshfc.org/.
The City's "second mortgage" loan may be used to assist with down payment, closing costs, and gap financing. The House Key Plus Bremerton Down Payment Assistance Program usually makes need-based loans of $5,000 to $15,000, capped at a maximum of $20,000.
Interest is 3% for low and very low income households (80% or below median income for the Bremerton-Silverdale Mortgage Servicing Area). Principal and interest are amortized over 15 years, and any remaining balance is due in full upon sale, transfer, or change in use of property.
- Borrowers must be first-time homebuyers within the City of Bremerton.
- Borrower's income must be below 80% of the area median income. (Click here for limits).
- Borrowers must attend a WSHFC-sponsored homebuyer seminar prior to requesting funds.
- Borrower must receive one-on-one pre-purchase housing counseling from an approved housing counselor prior to closing the loan and must attend one-on-one post purchase counseling 3-6 months after the close of the loan. (See below for more information on housing counseling).
- Funds may be used for down payment assistance and/or 100% of closing costs including pre-paids.
- First Mortgage must be a House Key loan.
- Subject property must be located within the City of Bremerton. (Note: A Kitsap County Assessor parcel search will confirm the property location. Please go to http://kcwppub3.co.kitsap.wa.us/ParcelSearch/ to search a specific address.)
- Property value must not exceed the House Key State Bond Limit of $300,000
- Mortgage Lenders must provide a copy of HUD's "Lead Paint Safety" Field Guide (6/1999) (HUD #1779-LHC) to appraisers and instruct them to specifically address the condition of the paint and note any areas of deterioration. Mortgage Lenders are also required to have the appraiser complete HUD's Housing Choice Voucher Program Inspection Checklist form HUD-52580 (3/2001) to ensure the property meets HUD's Housing Quality Standards.
- Subject property must be vacant or owner-occupied by Seller.
- Formal disclosure to Seller with the "Disclosure of HOME Program Requirements" form (#HKBREMERTON.8) is used to provide notice to the Seller of these requirements.
- Manufactured homes must be June 1976 or newer and meet HUD guidelines.
The borrower's lender will apply for House Key Plus Bremerton Down Payment Assistance through the Washington State Housing Finance Commission. Lenders must be able to originate House Key Loans. The City of Bremerton is not able to directly accept any applications.
WSHFC will first verify that the home to be purchased is indeed located within the Bremerton City Limits. This may be checked by using the property address to complete an online Parcel Search at the Kitsap County Assessor's Office: http://kcwppub3.co.kitsap.wa.us/ParcelSearch/.
The borrower's lender must be WSHFC-certified to originate House Key Loans. For more information on House Key and WSHFC, or to find a WSHFC certified lender, go to http://www.wshfc.org/.
Income of all adult household members, not just parties to the note, must be used in computing annual income. For more details on calculating income, please contact WSHFC.
All borrowers who are party to the Note must attend pre and post-purchase one-on-one housing counseling with an approved Housing Counseling Agency. The City is proud to partner with the following agency to provide housing counseling:
American Financial SolutionsThe purpose of pre-purchase counseling is to prepare borrowers for successful homeownership. A full budget assessment includes review of income and expenses and setting financial goals will be completed, as well as education and review of the borrower's credit report. The housing counselor will also assist with planning and budgeting for expenses as a homeowner.
263 4th Street
Bremerton, WA 98337
888-282-5492 ext. 4116 (Kim) or ext. 4164 (Jeanne)
Post-purchase counseling should be completed within 3-6 months after the loan closes and includes review and updating of the borrower(s)' budget, updating of financial goals, and other education and planning tips to help the borrower(s) continue down the road of successful homeownership.
Housing counseling is free to the borrower(s) at the time of service, however upon the closing of the loan a $250 fee will be paid to the Housing Counseling agency directly from the down payment funds.
The borrower is responsible for contacting the Housing Counseling Agency and making an appointment for counseling. Financial information, such as pay stubs, bills, and bank statements must be brought to both the pre and post purchase counseling sessions. All personal and financial information will be kept confidential by the Housing Counseling Agency.
For more information about the City of Bremerton's House Key Bremerton Plus Bremerton Down Payment Assistance Program, please contact:
City of Bremerton:
345 6th Street, Suite 600
Bremerton, WA 98337
Washington State Housing Finance Commission:
Second Mortgage Program Administrator
1000 2nd Ave, Suite 2700
Seattle, WA 98104
|This is an Equal Opportunity Program.|
Discrimination is prohibited by Federal Law.
Complaints of discrimination may be filed with the Administrator,
RHCDS, USDA, Washington, DC 20250-0700